Clayton and Skyland were annexed to Denver under the Session Laws of 1883 and 1889. The acquisition of the land for City Park, just south of our neighborhood, along with the legacy of the Clayton estate, a trust of $2.5 million, spurred home construction in the surrounding areas.
Between 1915 and 1929, development of City Park and a trolley line along 34th Avenue launched both areas into the first of two major periods of construction, primarily along East 26th Avenue, York Street and around the George W. Clayton Home for Boys, now known as Clayton College.
The second major era of construction ran from 1945 to 1959. It was characterized by one-story brick homes, similar to the structures built in many of the post-war subdivisions. A number of low-density, multi-family units were built during this period. The construction of a parkway along East 32nd Avenue between 1948 and 1951 provided a major route to Stapleton International Airport from the central business district.
The origins of Skyland’s name are less clear. Opinions vary, but the neighborhood probably received its name from the pool at the old East Denver Y.M.C.A. However, some residents feel that the name Skyland could also refer to the view of the downtown are and the mountains beyond.
North City Park / Skyland Neighborhood Needs Assessment